Soup Season & Some Spooky-ness

I love soups. I love making them, love the way they smell up the house, love the way they warm you up, love the amount of left-overs one pot makes for 2 people, and mostly I love eating them.

One of our favorites 'round this home is a minestrone recipe I got from my mom-in-law Deb. Since I made it the other day, it re-kindled our fondness of it and so I wanted to share it.



also made ghost shaped biscuts with it, because I quite enjoy any chance to make it feel like halloween and fall.

Minestrone Soup

1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 C diced onion
1 C sliced celery
1 C sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 (15 oz.) can Tomatoes
1 (15-16 oz.) can Tomato sauce
2 C. water
5 tsp. beef boullion
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1.4 tsp. pepper
{add at the end...}
1 (15 oz.) can red Kidney beans (undrained)
1/2 C elbow macaroni
1 C cut green beans
1 C sliced zuchini

In large pot, brown sausage. Add all ingredients EXCEPT beans, zuchini, and macaroni and Simmer for 20 mins. Add remaining ingredients, and let simmer until noodles are soft and cooked.

Also, if you are looking for super cheap halloween decorations, here are a few ideas. I got this first one (bat's in the lamp) from my sister Teigan, she's done it for a few years. And I have seen a few others, Martha Stewart has a how-to up about it also.


I used this as a template, re-sizing it once. Just cut out on black paper, and tape inside lamp. I don't have a normal lamp shade lamp, so I had to use the one above our kitchen table. Cam is so afraid of them:



Or just google "bat template", that is how I found it.

He is also "Afraid" of these:



again, just a template, cut out on black cardstock paper. These templates are from:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/glitter-silhouettes

there are links for all of them on that page. I didn't want to waste all that black ink, so I actually traced the outline on a regular sheet of white paper, cut that out, then used it to cut out of black card stock. If you have anymore decorating ideas, I would love them... I can never have enough!

5 comments:

Kira said...

Thanks T! I need some good easy and cheap Halloween ideas! And the soup looks really good, and I LOVED the biscuits!

Jacob said...

so cute TT. i was just thinking yesterday that i miss having you guys here, and that i love fall with you! ahhhhh screw texas. thanks for the good ideas, and im going to make that yummy soup! also, thanks for the other yummy recipes you have passes along via email! love you
britto

Tay and Teigan said...

Making it tonight! It's one our faves . . . thanks Deb! I love the ghosts . . . does Cam appreciate your festiveness? I'm excited for our Halloween activities today.

Foulgers said...

Alright domesticia-Tia. Well done, looks delicious and adorable.

eliza and christopher said...

Ummm . . . I actually called you today to get a good soup recipe. I am making this tomorrow! I love that I can always count on you for a good recipe. Love ya T!